Sunday, January 31, 2016

 

 Juvenile Delinquents Turn Heroes

             I was cleared from the hospital with a few injuries, so I just waited for Johnny and Dally. People were saying that we were heroes, but we weren't; we were just Greasers, JDs, and Hoods. Both of them came in stretchers. Dally threatened to kill me if i ever did something stupid like that again. Johnny came in unconscious. I was afraid to see his bruises and burns, but, luckily, his face wasn't burned. He appeared like a vampire, with all the blood drained from his face. I would've cried at the sight of Johnny, but I wouldn't do that in public.
            
              I was sitting next to Jerry, a guy who witnessed us save the kids. He was thanking me for being so brave. He didn't even mind that I was a Greaser. He just saw a normal kid. Then he told me my brothers were here and an explosion of joy blew up in me as I jumped up and ran to Soda. He gave a me big, bear hug that could've broken my ribs, but I didn't care. I was finally with my brothers... I was finally home. I took a look at Darry. He was the one that had driven me away. He had hit me, but suddenly I realized, that tears was silently rushing down his face. He was crying... I hadn't seen him cry in years. He didn't even cry when our parents had been killed. Darry just kept a solid, grieving face with big, hopeless eyes that were pleading for help. In that second what Soda and Two-Bit had been trying to tell me came through.
      
             I finally saw that Darry did care about me, and because of that, he was trying to get the best out of me.
        
             All these years I though Darry had hardened to the core like Dally, but he hadn't. His worst fear was losing another person he loved. As I hugged him, I knew everything was going to be okay. I had taken the long way around, but I was finally home. To stay. We stayed around the hospital waiting for Johnny and Dally as reporters swarmed me for the "inside scoop." They were calling me a hero instead of a Greaser, and I have to admit that I kind of liked it, but they kept asking questions which began to annoy me. Plus, I wasn't feeling great in the first place. My head felt like it was filled with helium and my stomach kept turning and rolling over.

No comments:

Post a Comment